A collection of updates
I’ve been trying to think of what to say and what I really have to update. I have a few posts started in my head but none of them seem to go anywhere. Instead, I’ll give you all the little bits now.
1) The standard update. I am in the third trimester – 28 weeks and 3 days. The chance of this little mover and shaker staying in until September 27th seems impossible to me. Babe moves ALL THE TIME and it’s fun to watch and amazing when I take the time to really stop and think about it. I feel like they are going to come bursting out any minute. We were awake this morning at 4:30 (CATS!) and babe was all over. Lesley put her arm around me and felt them kicking and rolling and said, “No, steakums, it’s not time to come out yet”. This is something we tell them pretty regularly.
We had a midwife appointment this morning and everything was good. Belly measuring great and while she had trouble figuring out where steakums is laying she thinks they are head down which is a good thing. My stomach is tight full of baby which of course makes me believe that at least 10 of the 16 pounds I gained are hanging out in my ass, thighs, and gigantic, uncomfortable boobs. I did three days of fasting and tracking my blood sugar instead of drinking the gross drink to test for gestational diabetes. Everything looked great. My back and feet hurt at night, pelvis is stiff in the morning. Per usual, the midwife backed up what Lesley has been telling me – stretch move before bed.
Here is a picture from 27 weeks. I try to take pictures of myself but they are never flattering so here is what you get.
2) I’ve been feeling very homesick. Having a baby away from your whole family is hard. We have good friends here and I am thankful for that but it’s not the same. We know we want to be here and that’s not going to change – but it’s hard. We have our baby shower coming up on the 28th. It now feels silly to do without my mom here. My sister sent a card to get well wishes from family and friends out of town and has received a good response – hopefully that helps me not feel sad on the day of. Does it ever get easier – having a baby while living far away from family?
3) Last week after my yoga class a bunch of the women were going to get lunch together. I declined as I didn’t have my wallet and had a lot to do at home. But also I feel guilty doing pregnant lady things without Lesley. She thinks this is silly and thinks I should for sure go next time. I am just so hesitant to designate myself as “the mom” when she is “the mom”, too. I want her to be as involved as possible, and she is, but I worry about doing anything to exclude her. She, of course, does not worry about this at all. I’m so eager to get this baby out of me so our playing field is a bit more level.
4) Our roommate moves out this week and we can actually get started on the nursery. We made a huge trip to ikea to get stuff to redo our spare room with will become a guest room/office/play room/craft room. We still have one wall of stuff to complete once the roommate is gone but the big work is done. I’m eager to have the rest of our house in order, too.
5) It’s really hot here. Being pregnant in the summer is dumb.